Monday 21 November 2011

Bucket list.

I don't know if this was a subconscious topic that came about after the reflection of my last post, but today Becky and I were discussing things that we'd like to do with our lives and decided that we should make a bucket list. For those of you who don't know what a bucket list is, it is a comprehensive list of all the things that you'd like to do before you kick the bucket. Shuffle off your mortal coil, etc.
This got me to wondering, how many of the things that we want to do in our lives are in sync with the things other people want to do. For example, is their a fashionable trend of life-time goals? One of my life time goals has always been to see the Northern Lights, I know for a fact that at least one of my friends shares this ambition, and I imagine a lot of other people want to do that too.
The thing is as our world slowly grows smaller (metaphorically) the adventure is starting to be sucked out of living so people look for the next exciting thing to do. One hundred years ago, travelling to America would have been a massive deal, now it's more extreme to go to Australia or New Zealand. I wonder how long it will be before people begin to travel beyond our world realistically.
Just a thought.
Anyway, this is what this blog was always about - living life to the full and experiencing everything that we can. I think there is still a lot missing (mainly the less extreme stuff!) but this is the list that Becky and I formulated.

1. Visit Marrakech
2. See northern lights
3. See pyramids
4. Cross the equator
5. Visit all continents
6. Fly a plane
7. Build a house
8. Climb Kilimanjaro
9. Live in Canada
10. Trek the great wall
11. Machu Picchu
12. Fly first class on virgin atlantic
13. Orient express
14. Go caving in the salt caves mexico
15. Gamble in las vegas
16. Have a ride in a husky-drawn sleigh
17. Celebrate new years twice in japan and Hawaii
18. Stroke a wild penguin
19. Go white water rafting
20. Go Hogmanay with the family
21. Go to Lapland
22. Get married
23. Have kids
24. Hold a koala
25. Visit Sydney
26. Get a pet micro pig and duck
27. Build a guitar
28. Build a tree house
29. Go surfing in Hawaii
30. Climb Mauna loa volcano
31. Go New York for new years
32. Get a makeover by Gok
33. Go to a real irish pub
34. Tell a customer the truth
35. Learn another language
36. Go on holiday for a month
37. Go to a protest
38. Go to an oil spill site and clean cute animals
39. Do some graffiti
40. Go in an igloo
41. Get a samoyd
42. Go in a thermal pool
43. Row down the amazon
44. Own a lighthouse
45. Ride an elephant
46. Go berry picking in an orchard
47. Caribbean cruise
48. Go to the water festival in Thailand
49. Stay a night in the Burj al Arab
50. Shower in a waterfall

Let me know if you share any of these dreams!

2 comments:

  1. There's a few there that would be on my list too. A few also that I'd nt have put in my bucket let but I would still like to do. I'd also be interested to know which things you'd have out on your list 10 years ago that you've already achieved. Next blog post perhaps?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I created my own blog, all my comments come up with my blog post name, not MY name. This very annoying !!

    ReplyDelete